Streamr 1.0 Testnets
The 1.0 incentivized testnet events will run from November, 2023 till January, 2024. In the Brubeck testnets of 2022, we tested the scalability of the Streamr Network. In the 1.0 Streamr milestone we are testing the decentralized incentive layer of the network.
If you’ve been running a Streamr node in the past you might be familiar with a two step process– run some software, stake some tokens, i.e. a software step and a blockchain step. The Streamr centralized backend would validate user’s stake and transfer reward tokens to node runner wallets at the end of each month. This has worked, but it has never been the long term intention to run Streamr this way. In these testnets and generally in Streamr 1.0, the incentivization comes from stream Sponsorship contracts which act as a decentralized mechanism for managing a stream of earnings distributed among a set of Operators. Those Operators run nodes which will join the sponsored stream and help to relay the traffic inside it.
The 1.0 testnets will be launched with the technical parameters set out in: SIP-16
How to participate & earn
- Become a node Operator
- Stake your Operator on stream Sponsorships, and/or,
- Delegate your
DATAtokens onto other Operators
- Do NOT create or sponsor Sponsorships. If you do tokens will be irreversibly sent to that Sponsorship contract. There is no undo for this.
Current node software version
Use node version:
v100.0.0-testnet-one.2. Do not use the
latest tag release.
Keep a close eye on this page as these dates may change based on the findings of each testnet.
- Start date: 4PM CET / 15:00 UTC, 5th December to 12th December
- Reward pool: 1 million DATA
- Duration: 7 days
- Testnet 1 will have reduced slashing penalties of 0.01% instead of 10%
- Start date: 18th December to 8th January
- Reward pool: 1.5 million DATA
- Duration: 21 days
- Start date: 15th January to 29th January
- Reward pool: 2.5 million DATA
- Duration: 14 days
Each testnet will have a set of Sponsorships that will be the source of incentivization. These will be visible on The Hub (release TBA).
The Mumbai test environment
The Mumbai Hub is the place to test out your Operator before creating it on Polygon with real tokens.
What are the differences between Mumbai and Testnet 1?
v100.0.0-testnet-one.2 version can be used to connect to Testnet 1 or the Mumbai network.
Don’t use the
pretestnet releases anymore.
- Tutorial videos. Follow at your own risk. Note that version numbers and exact instructions may change over time.
- StreamrRUN - A Streamr Node in 3 minutes, by Logic Ethos
- Manage your Streamr Node in 1 minute, by Logic Ethos
We're offering DATA prizes for quality contributions to the following categories:
- On-chain metric dashboards
- Fine grained monitoring tools such as email notifications
- 📸 Show off your setup by posting it to the #StreamrNodeContest on X. If it's the prettiest 😍, greenest 🍃, most sophisticated 🎛️, or uniquely different 🌀, you could snag $100 in DATA as a bonus reward at the month's end!
Please be aware of some important safety tips during the testnets:
Your tokens are at risk by participating in these testnets - the risks are real.
- Consider starting small with your stake amount during the testnets and use common sense to never stake more than you can afford to lose. A professional audit of the incentive layer has been completed by Cyfrin, but nothing can be guaranteed of course.
- If you want to stake on a sponsorship, DO NOT click on the "Sponsor". That's for funding the sponsorship, not staking! Instead, go to the sponsorship you want to stake on and click "Join as an operator” and enter the amount.
- There may be an increase in activity by scammers during the testnets. A common approach is to pretend to offer help or tech support in direct messages (something we never do). Report any account that is asking you to sign transactions or asking for any sort of credentials such as your private key. These accounts are trying to steal your tokens. It’s advised you disable DMs on Discord. More tips can be found in #server-safety-guide.